Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I have recently purchased a 2011 Meriva B. Since purchase I have noticed several issues and want to go back to the trader armed with some info so I don’t get fobbed off!

Main issue is noise from front end on turning steering wheel. Groaning/clunking noise. Steering feels pretty heavy but fine when speed increases. However, the noise seems intermittent.

i also noticed a Code 68 has flashed up when the car turns on twice but again is very intermittent. This disappears very quickly. Also had a Code 1 yesterday.

I have checked battery health which Halfords say is making good voltage but is at 63% health whatever that means. Alternator apparently fine. I have also checked battery when loading car and putting steering wheel lock to lock and the voltage didn’t drop significantly.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts. What can I check, what is likely culprit (PAS pump, rack?)? PAS looks v expensive - this was a sub £3k car which is otherwise really good condition.

Many thanks
Chris

·
18,177 Posts
Poor crimping on the battery earth lead can cause all sorts of electrical issues. Try driving it for a short ride with all electrical items on then check that the lead is not getting warm - in some bad cases they can get really hot.

Reactions: MrChris79

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
3,047 Posts
Re steering noise. Is is mainly when at low speeds / stopped and turning the wheel and a pop, pop, pop sort of grind and not noticed once up to speed?
If so, my first port of call would be the top mounts for the front suspension struts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re steering noise. Is is mainly when at low speeds / stopped and turning the wheel and a pop, pop, pop sort of grind and not noticed once up to speed?
If so, my first port of call would be the top mounts for the front suspension struts.
Thanks for the reply. It is hard to destine the noise but a groaning/popping noise at slow speeds as you say. Just seems a coincidence it has thrown the PAS code too?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts