Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just re-registered, been off the forum for a while and lost login details.
Can anyone help with this......I have just replaced my drivers seat that was knackered for a good used one from the same year/engine, but an estate. Problem is the new seat has a side impact airbag whereby the original van seat did not. When the wiring under the seat is plugged in I now have an airbag warning light on the dash, whereas I had no warning lights of any description before. Plug in my basic diagnostic reader and it shows no fault codes even though the light is on and ignition on? Socket under new seat has thick orange cable presumably running to airbag, but would have thought my original wiring and plug would not have picked it up? Bit confused as to how to eliminate warning light? Does ECU have to be altered or anything?
Cheers, Les.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,103 Posts
Airbag ecu can only be configured once. At least without major work on its pcb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. Not sure if ECU is the problem as yet? I just threw it in as a possibility. Just can't fathom why I have the light now when there was no airbag in the original seat and I had no warning lights for anything? Weird.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,103 Posts
It’s simple really, if sdm does not see at the inputs what was programmed to see, it will throw a light and fault code. We can chat about all night but airbag fault codes will not clear themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
If I'm correct, on your original seat the only connection would have been for the belt tensioner, but now the seat belt module is seeing an air bag that it's not programmed for, hence the warning light.
Can you not swap the belt tensioner and wiring from your original seat onto the replacement seat?
Hopefully that will put the light out.

·
17,194 Posts
Or just de-pin the seat airbag wiring from the connector so the car doesn't know it is there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny enough this solution was beginning to filter through my old grey matter. Yes, if I swap my original socket which only had the seatbelt wiring connection, then the ECU will just see what it always had. It would have been nice to have an additional airbag as well as the steering wheel one, but not worth whatever modifications required, plus need it for work everyday, not got the time to have it off the road to look into it.
Great help, thanks very much, I'll do the swap next weekend and post result. Cheers.

If I'm correct, on your original seat the only connection would have been for the belt tensioner, but now the seat belt module is seeing an air bag that it's not programmed for, hence the warning light.
Can you not swap the belt tensioner and wiring from your original seat onto the replacement seat?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or just de-pin the seat airbag wiring from the connector so the car doesn't know it is there.
Yes, another possible answer, but I didn't want to start interfering with the airbag wiring in case I accidently triggered it and the seat is then useless to me. Could that happen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got it spot on Alan G H, I got the seat out again, unbolted the seatbelt socket end that has the wiring to it and removed the whole mechanism and wiring socket. Took a breath before snipping through one core at a time the orange lead to the airbag, nothing happened. Fastened it up away and then installed my original seatbelt socket stalk and fitted wiring and wiring socket back in place with a couple of tiewraps. Connected the floor input wiring plug and rebolted the seat back in place. Switched the ignition on and Bingo, Airbag and all other lights out and back to normal. Hope this description and thread may help someone else swapping seats out. Cheers all. Les.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts