Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

2010 Vauxhall Insignia Failing to Start

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  laurenmc7 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 diesel Vauxhall Insignia. The car was driving perfect but wouldn’t start one morning. Long story short after failed attempts at getting it jump started and having a mechanic look at it I was told I definitely needed a new battery. This was purchased and fitted and still the car wouldn’t start. The car was then linked up to a computer for a diagnostic test which revealed that I needed new Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors. Again these were purchased, fitted and still the car is failing to start. My mechanic was able to establish that fuel is going to the engine and the plugs are all working. In total so far 3 mechanics have looked at the car and all are baffled as to why the car is turning over but not starting.
The car was then towed via a recovery vehicle to a Vauxhall dealership so that their mechanics could run yet another diagnostic test in order to establish why the car isn’t starting. Word came back today that no faults were found, but that for extra money I could have one of their mechanics check over the car tomorrow. I then contacted Vauxhall Customer Care who could only really offer an opinion of “that’s quite strange” when faced with my issue.

Anyone any advice? The car is turning over but just not starting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Because no faults were found ( diagnostic trouble codes ) doesn't mean the that the car doesn't have a fault otherwise the engine would be starting up & running .
The clue here is the sudden out of the blue refusal to start up .
Have they checked the timing isn't out ?

Reactions: laurenmc7
#3 ·
Because no faults were found ( diagnostic trouble codes ) doesn't mean the that the car doesn't have a fault otherwise the engine would be starting up & running .
The clue here is the sudden out of the blue refusal to start up .
Have they checked the timing isn't out ?
Cheers for the reply. Timing has also been checked and mechanic was happy it wasn’t out either!

#4 ·
Ok so originally fault codes for cam & crank sensor showed up , this would certainly stop car from starting if both had failed , but let’s consider the possibility that both sensors were in fact ok & that something else caused those sensors to be flagged up.

#7 ·
Any lights on the dash? Like a car with a padlock ?
Is it trying to turn over?

I have a 2010 plate that stopped starting. It turned out to be the transponder chip in my key had failed. £120 later for a new key and the car is back on the road[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
Any lights on the dash? Like a car with a padlock ?
Is it trying to turn over?

I have a 2010 plate that stopped starting. It turned out to be the transponder chip in my key had failed. £120 later for a new key and the car is back on the road[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed the immobiliser light on when towing the car to the mechanics! But I wasn’t sure if it lights up normally when the key is in and turned in the ignition, so I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be lit up or not! My knowledge of cars and what lights should and should not be on and when would be very limited (stereotypical woman here! :))

When I turn the key and clutch in to start the car it is going through all the motions of trying to start and is turning over it just isn’t getting that final kick and starting, it just cuts out. If that sounds familiar?

Thank you so much for your reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.