Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living out in the countryside I need as much light as I can get especially in this weather as it gets pretty gnarly. When it's raining you can't see the flooding coming off the ditches and fields, or the overflowing potholes until you hit them, the water is black as there is no light reflecting, the roads are black, the hedgerows are black, the deer, badgers and foxes and other critters are not showing until I am literally upon them. The factory-fitted dipped bulbs in my CDTI are only giving me a max of 25 yards of throw in front of where I am driving, and even at 40mph that's not enough to avoid hazards.

My main beams are OK, but on long stretches, where traffic is coming toward me, my dipped lights are the ones causing the problems, and I am worried that I will have an accident.

So the question is, What bulbs would you recommend? I am not going to invest in any type of HID/LED conversion, I just want bright, legal bulbs that will fit, along with a link or a price as to where I can get them.

TIA guys.

·
Premium Member
13,392 Posts
Yes halogen bulbs are poor, generally. If you are looking for a bit brighter & still mot legal. You could try some Osram 150 laser night breakers. I've used them & was fairly happy with their result with my previous K. I'd say they'd probably give you a 50% brighter light in my experience, still yellow looking though. I bought mine from Ebay or Amazon.
I'm currently using some Elite H7 bulbs on my J now. They're white looking, maybe 10% better than stock, 50% cheaper than the Osrams though, should also last longer.
I too do a lot of night b road driving, find my dipped beam poor, especially when it's wet.
I owned a Leon with LED headlights, the dipped beam was much better than any halogen bulb I've ever used before. The LED's came with the car from standard though.
On a plus side if you had led's from standard, they're very expensive to replace when they stop working. As usually you have to replace the whole headlight cluster, costing anywhere from £200-£400 plus fitting, depending on which car you have. I try to remind myself of this when I'm driving around with my candle lit dipped beams:ROFLMAO:

·
11,942 Posts
They are quite good, been using them for a few years.
They don't last as long as normal halogen bulbs so factor that in when deciding what to go for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts