Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, wandering if I could get some advice on a battery/charging system fault on my 2010 Astra J A16XER. I bought the car with a flood damaged engine, I bought a replacement engine which I fitted at the weekend. The replacement engine came with all ancillaries attached.

The battery was dead on the car but after fitting the engine I jumped it from my Vectra, drove it around noticed the battery light on and at times steering would feel heavy. Anyway this morning put a known good battery in but battery light remained, so swapped the alternator from the original engine, again battery light still on. Had the car running with all accessories on connected my multi-meter got a reading of 13.5V, the same test ran on my Vectra with everything on reads approx 13.3V with no problems or battery light.

A mechanic friend of mine thinks I could've of missed an earth point when replacing the engine, the only earth I remember taking off is the one on the side of the cylinder head, I know this as when I put everything back I only tightened this bolt finger tight with the intention of coming back to it to tighten but forgot and the car wouldn't start, fired straight away once tightened. My mechanic friend thinks there another earth on a bolt that goes through the gearbox to engine, I genuinely don't remember seeing one when removing the engine.

As of yet I've not had any codes read as I didn't get the chance, does anyone think that this could be the alternator? or where/what else could I check? Sorry for the long post any help would be appreciated

·
Worn Out Member
6,016 Posts
There should be an earth to the starter,is that one ok ?

Untitled picture6.png

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
right bit of an update although no further forward though. I did check the earth on the starter that seemed secure, I ended up putting a brand new aftermarket alternator on, battery light still came on had the codes read now heres the strange bit....
First code P0621 cleared that then battery light came on again, read codes again...
Second code P0622 (first code hasn't appeared) cleared that, battery light comes back on, read again back to the first code and so on.
Every time we cleared the codes they would come back but alternate between the 2 never both at the same time, any suggestions what I can try now?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right did some digging yesterday and now got a new problem, as I said I'd changed the engine I had to swap the sumps over as the new engine didn't have a oil level sensor but the original one did.

As I was investigating the alternator fault I found the plug for the alternator and the plug for the oil level sensor are exactly the same and quite close to each other, so I swapped them over. Hurrahhh battery light no longer comes on, but I have a new problem intermittently the oil level warning will come on, not all the time just intermittently. Oil level is fine on the dipstick, I'm wandering if the wires were the right way round the first time or if the sensor is at fault which I hope not as I don't fancy dropping the sump again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts