Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2009 (59) Astra H design 3 door hatchback with a 1.4L ecotec engine (it's the only 1.4 design 3 door I've ever came across). I have been having some issues with it of late, even though it has only done 38,000 miles. On start up, mainly when the engine is cold, the car will rev itself immediately after turning the key to around 2-3k rpm. Is this normal?

The noise is not a standard rev and the only way I can describe it is 'tinny'. Also, when sitting at traffic lights etc the car is sounding more noisey than previously, and almost sounding sort of like a Diesel engine. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Also, when idle the revs sit around 900rpm but this sometimes flutters up and down when cold before settling.

The past month has been a bit of a nightmare with this car, first I had two broken sprockets on the front suspension, then when I received the car back from the garage I had a puddle in the back footwell, then I needed new tyres, then a crack in an exhaust pipe was letting fumes into the cabin and now this, all in 8 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
These are normally good engines , our Astra H 1.4 did 77,000 miles in 2 & 1/2 years without any issues whatsoever. In fact it's our best car all round bar the Skoda Fabia 2 that also made a good case for itself . Yes they did make a few 3dr 1.4 twinport engined models . Our Nissan Juke petrol does the rpm needle around the clock & settles back to 2500rpm & then slowly drops down to 900 rpm , this is to warm up the catalytic converter before driving off .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts