Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently I started noticed slight jerking when 4-speed automatic changes gears on my 2009 Astra, especially from 1st to 2nd, not very bad but still. I checked transmission fluid and it was quite brown so I decided to change it, also, I don`t know if its ever have been changed- car have done 109000 miles right know.
I decided to do it myself, because it`s not the car I would spend much money on. I bought Comma MVATF Plus Fully Synthetic Fluid, managed to get out little more than 3 litres of old fluid. Unfortunately, I overfilled. Now, when warm, fluid is about quarter of an inch over max line. Colour of the new liquid now is more red than brown.
Problem is, fluid change didn`t helped with jerking, even worse- now, 1st gear changes to 2nd only at 3000rpm with more noticable jerk than before. It dissapears after driving a little- I guess when fluid warms up- gears changes sooner and with less jerking. Also, when accelerating from 0 till gear change there is whistling/whining kind of sound, same sound only much fainter is constantly at 40-50mph.
I don`t want to take the car to a garage where they probably will suggest some expensive repair. So I hoped maybe someone here will have some ideas. Should I changed the fluid again? Use different fluid? Or maybe the gearbox is on its way out and there is nothing to do? I`ll appreciate any ideas and suggestions.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Is this one of the cars with the gearbox oil cooler inside the main radiator?
If it is, it's common for it to fail, and the water to mix with the gear oil (the brown colour of the oi is the give away).
Unfortunately, you may well be looking at a gearbox rebuild, plus a radiator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts