Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...I'm a newbie on here...
hoping someone might point me in the right direction....
my van wont start...
i can hear the fuel pump working and the engine turns over as it should but wont start.
Got the glow plug light on in the dash
I've replaced the glow plug relay and checked the supply voltage to it. No issues there. The 70 amp fuse to glow plug relay is also fine and that circuit is also receiving a voltage supply.
Glow plug connectors have no voltage though.
So from the glow plug relay to the glow plugs themselves, there is no voltage at all...I've checked all the wiring for damage and there is none. Also no damaged wires from the ecu either....
where i should look next?

any help is very appreciated guys..

thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Should start without glow plugs in these temperatures. Can you get hold of a code reader? Was it running fine before this? Give us as much info as you can.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Doesn't the glow plug light double as an engine warning light?

I don't think we're going to get anywhere without getting some fault codes.

If you've got a laptop invest a few ££ in a reader. I think the 2008 model should have standard OBD interface.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Doesn't the glow plug light double as an engine warning light?

I don't think we're going to get anywhere without getting some fault codes.

If you've got a laptop invest a few ££ in a reader. I think the 2008 model should have standard OBD interface.
Yes it does Mike. If the light doesn't go out after some seconds when the ignition is switched on then there's a fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys thanks for replying

i put a very basic code reader on it but the reader was useless... gave me no codes...

bought the van as a non runner... the van was was complete and in perfect nick in every way... thought id be able to get it running and use it

got standard obd connector...

checked every single fuse in the fusebox on the passenger side and they're all perfect.
checked all the relays in the box next to the ecu in engine bay, they all seem to be good too...
the battery light is below the glow plug light on the dash... the engine management light is not illuminated...
what you think fellas..?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Op-Com is what you need really. Then you can pick up some live data. Have you tried easy start? Does it try to fire if easy start is squirted in? This will prove out compressions as a starter and valve timing to a greater degree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i'm in birmingham and i didnt try easy start yet, i didnt think of that...but i'll get some tmrw and give it a go. I've got a strong feeling the fault is electrical rather than mechanical...but if that works i'd be really grateful to you..

a decent code reader is on my shopping list too..

is it possible the ecu is at fault?

·
Registered
325 Posts
The list of possibilities is extensive to be honest. Yes could be immobiliser/ECU/Fuel/other electrical. We have to start somewhere. The easy start won't cure the problem but at least we can start to gather info. Do let us know and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will do mate...

my mates 2003 vivaro had starting issues but ended up being a loose wiring connection on the ignition barrel. it was the immobiliser. Took ages to find the fault and seconds to fix it...

Yes i'll def be getting a code reader and let you know if theres any progress...
thanks for the help....!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Id guess it will start using easy start. If it does then I'd check the injectors . Do a leak off test . Really common fault for non start

·
Registered
325 Posts
If it sounds like it's trying to start perhaps firing on a couple of injectors then yes PJ I could see that but if no firing at all I would be looking elsewhere. Maybe insufficient rail pressure. It may even be @DKT1's dreaded fuel pressure sensor! If the easy start helps it boost that fuel pressure enough to get it running then we're onto something I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts