Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2006 Astra 1.6 Twinport 5 Door, and the left rear door does not lock.

When you pull the handle, when all the car is locked, the door opens and unlocks the whole car. No only that but the door doesnt lock for not only normal but dead locking.

I have looked at the bottom loom that connects the pillar wires with the door wires and there are no breaks. The wires look fine.

I have also installed a new lock mechanism and wire harness within the door.

Still no luck.

Any help would be majorly Appreciated as I have tried so many things and still no luck.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
I would look at the door wiring loom inside the rubber umbilical again, it stands to reason that if it unlocks all the door when operated then something is shorting out and the most likely place is inside that rubber sleeve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would look at the door wiring loom inside the rubber umbilical again, it stands to reason that if it unlocks all the door when operated then something is shorting out and the most likely place is inside that rubber sleeve.

Thanks for the reply.

I have had the inside door trim off that leads into the little rubber loom and all the wires seem fine. Would it be worth cutting the rubber a little to see the wires inside? If they are fine which I believe they are. What would be the next solution?

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have already looking inside it mate. I've done the lot.

New lock
New wire harness
All wires in the loom look fine. None broken

Its anoying the hell outa me

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Well they do look ok, what about the middle bit, im not doubting you mate its just the only place that the wires will wear/snap and short together which causes the type of fault, if opening the door activates all locks then it must be shorting somewhere and this is by far the most common place,...
Does you car have a REC (Big rear fuse box in the boot)

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Do you think the door loom has been replaced before, did you buy the car with this fault, im wondering if the looms been replaced but a couple of wires have been done wrong,... whats behind this insulation tape,.
astra door loom.png

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a bad shout.

I'll cut the tape tomorrow and let you know on the outcome.

They sold the car with apparently "no problems" however the locking issue has been there since buying.

Along with an overbearing problem where the car juders then cuts out after 30 seconds of the fan cutting in. But that's another problem.

I thought that tape maybe to hold the wires together.

I was thinking about following the wires down to the back of the car and seeing if they have been split further towards the rear fuse box but I dont see how they would have considering they are behind trims...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you think the door loom has been replaced before, did you buy the car with this fault, im wondering if the looms been replaced but a couple of wires have been done wrong,... whats behind this insulation tape,.
View attachment 93692

Also if you zoom in, you can see another black hit of tape inside the hole. I think they are just holding wires together

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Yeah but thats whats called loom tape, used by the factory and good auto electricians, the other tape is just run of the mill insulation tape, i would cut it open and have a look, the wires also look different colours going into the tape that are coming out ,... it just dont look right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weird part is, like you said, theres different cables (colours)

I'll give it a snip tomorrow and I'll update you on the result.

Hopefully it's just some unsoldered wires.

Cheers for the help mate.

Speak tomorrow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts