Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through posts on here and on Google, and it appears that (as is bloody typical), I have a unique problem :rolleyes::D

Bought the car 9 months ago, and the full/high beam (xenon headlight option) has never worked. Can't flash anybody either. Back in the summer, I found a spare left-hand stalk in the passenger door bin,.......putting two and two together, the previous owner had the same problem, and had started the elimination process to fix it,.....without success. Chatting to the previous owner (we're friends on Facebook now), he confirmed this.

Soooooo,......I sent it to a well respected auto-electrician yesterday, and he THINKS (though not sure yet), that it MIGHT be the dreaded CIM. Thing is, after trawling the net, the symptoms that usually nod to an iffy CIM are things like the horn not working, no side lights, car not starting, lights randomly flashing, lights not turning OFF, radio not working etc,........and I have none of these problems.

He's going to try a used CIM on it on the 23rd, if only to eliminate that.

Anybody here heard of full-beam not working before?

·
14,538 Posts
I think I would be looking at the UHEC for any water ingress. Lots of threads on here about it and some good YouTube videos too.

·
28,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also, I understand that replacement CIMs need to be coded to the car. With this car having the Cruise Control option, is the CIM different, or is it just the stalk and the coding that's different?

·
28,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: Boroboy

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Were the xenon lights factory fitted or did the previous owner do a diy upgrade and then not be able to get the working properly. One other thing, do you have Opcom.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Oh and the CIM does need programming and the CC can be programmed at the same time, its just a configuration change, setting to Present in the Canbus or Variant Configuration, just make sure the replacement CIM is compatible with your car and comes reset or with its own security code if you buy second hand. Match part numbers and Ident code if possible.

·
Premium Member
15,867 Posts
Yes the C/C stalk needs to be prog in using Opcom or simial, I did so on my previous H, along with the S/B module (those were the days you could actually retro prog your car).
No I've not previously heard about your H/B issue. Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.

·
28,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*Were the xenon lights factory fitted or did the previous owner do a diy upgrade and then not be able to get the working properly.

*do you have Opcom.
*Factory fitted,....along with Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, CD70 Nav, 19" Ronals etc.

*Nah, just my trusty VGate code reader/resetter. I'm an Audi man, so had VAGCOM.

·
28,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the C/C stalk needs to be prog in using Opcom or simial, I did so on my previous H, along with the S/B module (those were the days you could actually retro prog your car).
No I've not previously heard about your H/B issue. Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.
Cheers brother.

It's an annoying niggle that I just want sorting. There's a lad who wants to buy the car,...so when this gets sorted I can get it MOT'd and he can have it.

·
Premium Member
15,867 Posts
Cheers brother.

It's an annoying niggle that I just want sorting. There's a lad who wants to buy the car,...so when this gets sorted I can get it MOT'd and he can have it.
I know what you mean about niggles. Would the lad, not buy it, as is?

·
28,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
28,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out it WAS the CIM.

Cheapest new one I can find on Ebay is about £190.

Anybody got any good sources for any less than that, before I go for it?

·
Worn Out Member
7,065 Posts
Do you know which one it is ?
i have a dual stage (not keyless) 2008 dated one i got in an auction 4-5 years ago as a "just in case" for mine,
it was supposedly new old stock and never fitted but i have no proof that was actually true,
i got it cheap enough and was going to worry about sorting it if needed but never did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts