Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, hoping somebody can help

Car went into limp mode (no warning light) over a month ago on an overtake, dropped into 3rd to pass and lost acceleration in a second. Up hills is now 1st or 2nd and is no good at all, the car does a daily 50 mile round trip and some shorter journeys in the evening time, clock shows 126000 miles

Diagnostic showed no fault code, EGR was cleaned and all pipes and air sensor checked, also had change of oil, filters changed and engine flushed. Mechanic reckons it's DPF so I bought cleaner and added it to the fuel, then took it for a hard 15/20 min blast on the motorway so it would regen, came off motorway and still snails pace taking off the rest of the way home

I'm not a mechanic and have already had the car serviced for MOT approx £280 and don't want to fork out any more for a Vauxhall service, new DPF or anything else. Mechanic says car is in very good condition, though he said the oil and fuel filter definitely needed replaced

The only warning light I've seen on it was the spanner light and the odd time the engine management light, other than that nothing to indicate what the problem was. I suspected something wasn't right as it blew out a fair bit of cloudy smoke on a cold start

I'm just trying to isolate what the issue is and then it can be tackled. My only other guesses would be:

Swirl flaps?
Turbo gone?
Crank shaft sensor?

Can anyone help!? Cheers

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Spanner light means there IS a fault code. You will need to find a) A better mechanic b) A better mechanic with some decent diagnostic gear and the sense to use it.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Hi, hoping somebody can help

Car went into limp mode (no warning light) over a month ago on an overtake, dropped into 3rd to pass and lost acceleration in a second. Up hills is now 1st or 2nd and is no good at all, the car does a daily 50 mile round trip and some shorter journeys in the evening time, clock shows 126000 miles

Diagnostic showed no fault code, EGR was cleaned and all pipes and air sensor checked, also had change of oil, filters changed and engine flushed. Mechanic reckons it's DPF so I bought cleaner and added it to the fuel, then took it for a hard 15/20 min blast on the motorway so it would regen, came off motorway and still snails pace taking off the rest of the way home

I'm not a mechanic and have already had the car serviced for MOT approx £280 and don't want to fork out any more for a Vauxhall service, new DPF or anything else. Mechanic says car is in very good condition, though he said the oil and fuel filter definitely needed replaced

The only warning light I've seen on it was the spanner light and the odd time the engine management light, other than that nothing to indicate what the problem was. I suspected something wasn't right as it blew out a fair bit of cloudy smoke on a cold start

I'm just trying to isolate what the issue is and then it can be tackled. My only other guesses would be:

Swirl flaps?
Turbo gone?
Crank shaft sensor?

Can anyone help!? Cheers
Dpf fault will show a code,
New mechanic needed lol!

A colour of smoke is a good indication too.
What colour was or is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dpf fault will show a code,
New mechanic needed lol!

A colour of smoke is a good indication too.
What colour was or is it?

It's very cloudy white, throws out quite a bit in the morning and for the road home, really want to avoid taking this to Vauxhall, would a pedal test show up a DPF fault? Is the pedal test brake and accelarator? Tried it before but nothing came up

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Not sure to be honest if it does, I have a diagnostic machine to read codes.

Unless the dpf is blocked you won't get a code, you may have a build up in the filter so have you tried a diagnostic regen?

The dpf cleaners don't really work, or you could try a big thrashing down the motorway it may force the soot out.

I take it you ain't loosing coolant??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure to be honest if it does, I have a diagnostic machine to read codes.

Unless the dpf is blocked you won't get a code, you may have a build up in the filter so have you tried a diagnostic regen?

The dpf cleaners don't really work, or you could try a big thrashing down the motorway it may force the soot out.

I take it you ain't loosing coolant??

Tried the pedal test and no code showing, I gave it a real hard blast on the motorway today for 20 mins, 3rd/4th average 3/3500 rpm and no joy, the coolant level is the same, see I'm thinking a diagnostic regen might do the trick but I'm sure this will be expensive and worried it might not be the problem

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Whats ur area??

Someone on here nearby may be willing to help and perform a regen quick, only take 20mins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too far for me lol,

Hope you get it all sorted mate

I seen a vid on YouTube of a forced regen on a zafira using a snap on verdict which took 20 mins, would you physically need the snap on to force re gen it or could you rev it in neutral on its own?? My exhaust and DPF were well hot when I got home today after a good hour thrashing but still limp, took it out this evening for a quick run and still the same

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
You need to bake the soot for sometime at high constant revs, a regen is the only way.

You don't need a snap on tool, there is cheaper tools available such as Autel maxicheck pro or sealey regen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to bake the soot for sometime at high constant revs, a regen is the only way.

You don't need a snap on tool, there is cheaper tools available such as Autel maxicheck pro or sealey regen.

Grand, I'll try and get something sorted and come back, cheers again

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
I thought Fire had already diagnosed he needs a better mechanic.....;)

Isn't this supposed to be a no no or at least not advised " engine flushed "
Engine flushed, what with flush fluid crap?

I was under the impression that because he was a "mechanic " who done the work the term "flushed" would have been cheap oil run through on warm up not chemical flush rubbish.

New mechanic it is then lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts