Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,

I’m after some advice, I have a 2003 1.9dti vivaro, the battery and STOP light comes on every now and again, but if I restart the van they go out and all is fine,

today the same happened again, so I decided to put a multimeter on alternators live wire and the readings were Bouncing all over the place from 0v-14v (the battery and stop light wasn’t on at this stage)

I thought this was strange and maybe it was me not having the multimeter leads on properly, but after checking the connections again, they were definitely getting a good contact,

there is also a white thin wire connected to the alternator, is this the 12v regulator feed?

does this sound like a failing regulator?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can you confirm the alternator 'live' wire is a very fat wire in the order of 7-10mm and connected to your battery? If a connection has broken then I might expect it to be unstable.

It is possible the alternator has a fuse in the line to your battery and this has failed.

I have known poor DVM to give changeable results when attached to some changing sources, and so if you are confident the above connection is made I might try another meter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definitely seems like the alternator is goosed, I think it’s got something to do with the clutch in it or the regulator, but it’s making a hell of a racket now like the bearings are gone, I’ve got a new alternator and belt on order, Does anybody have a diagram of the belt layout (without A/C), I’ve looked online and can only see the one for A/C versions,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts