Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all have just recently brought 2.2 vectra cdx (2001)and have basically 1 main problem...new cylinder head has been fitted (dec) by car dealer ran car over a long trip of approx 300 miles and ok ,shortly after engine overheats,took car to local garage who flushed system out etc after testing for gasket leaks etc all ok,they said lots of what looks like rad weld came out of system and gunged thermostat up..fitted new thermostat cured it for a bit but no heating from heater,then went again a week later took back to dealer (not vaux)who done all above again,ok for a bit then took on long journey overheated again, getting peed off with this as car is in garage longer than i have owned it when it does over heat one side of thermo stat is hot other side is cold (radiator side)question is Is radiator cream crackered ?/ blocked or water pump failing ???..second question engine has the modified nut fitted re cam chain but engine number is TA 0298etc which i beleive is made in the states is this one of the effected engines that has been modified/ or was any problem associated with american built versions..many thanks in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi, i have heard of the impeller comming loose on some water pumps, that will give the symptoms that you have explaind. you should be able to hear a noise from the pump.(this may help)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Rob have thought of that but garage assures me water pump is ok another note i forgot to add was that i had to limp back from cornwall to the midlands the other day and as long as kept road speed down to 45 to 50 mph on motorway temp returned to normal soon as i got up to 70 it went into the red again the garage does not seem to know what they are doing as various reasons are being offered now they are telling me that the head may have to come off again (as car is under warranty think that they just want to blag fault off so it doesn't cost them too much money..am begining to think clarkson was right) and hope i will go away lol..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though would update this post as car went back into garage the other week at this rate will get to know him better than my wife lol, anyway keep it short and sweet to see if any one can shed some more light on this;
Head gasket changed....head checked and pressure tested..ok (new head fitted last nov)
new water pump fitted at my insistance (ouch!) original ok..
new thermostat fitted at prior visit...+system flushed
one of the pistons had marking on it which could only be explained by a valve hitting it, so looks like my timing chain has been modified at some stage ..anyway i digress..
car has ran ok for approx 2 weeks now,but problem has now gradually returned,both cooling fans come on temp into the red....
used car this morning for trip into town and back (approx 5 miles) temp guage getting near to the red and no heat from heater (yes it was turned on) gave engine a couple of really hard revs as i'm getting p1ssed off with it now guage started moving down to a more acceptable level ie 90 and heat returned to heater..took for another run but seems to be behaving at the mo although temp is higher than norm approx 98 question is radiator b0lloxed/blocked or something very silly that has been overlooked because at the moment it shows symptoms of the thermostat is not opening ...(its had 2 on now)..nb have replaced coolant tank pressure cap with new one,no oil in water and vice versa any body shed any light please..many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
thanks Rob have thought of that but garage assures me water pump is ok another note i forgot to add was that i had to limp back from cornwall to the midlands the other day and as long as kept road speed down to 45 to 50 mph on motorway temp returned to normal soon as i got up to 70 it went into the red again the garage does not seem to know what they are doing as various reasons are being offered now they are telling me that the head may have to come off again (as car is under warranty think that they just want to blag fault off so it doesn't cost them too much money..am begining to think clarkson was right) and hope i will go away lol..
a common way to tell if your rad is blocked is the car over heats the faster you go so i would say change the rad,radweld can block radiators if you use to much so it may be that someone in the past has used a lot to stop a leak

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for above input lads most gratefully received, Just a thought though car has climax (sorry climate) control fitted to it would the heater bypass valve cause any of the above symptoms above?,appolgies for sounding thick!!!! any input would obviously be well received....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.