Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm not currently a Vauxhall owner but am looking into buying a cheap used Zafira. I went to look at a 2.0DTI yesterday that was in limp mode and for sale spares and repair. It's the later version of the engine with the electronic egr and psg16 pump.

The car started first turn of the key and sounds fine however wouldn't rev at all, I fiddled under the bonnet and found the butterfly flap between the egr and intercooler hose was stuck, it moved with a little persuasion and the engine would then rev to 2 or 2.5 thousand rpm but smoked quite badly (white/grey fuel smoke with the diesel/bbq smell) the smoke also persists at idle but seems to slowly clear. The car did once sound like it was missing at idle. If you switch the car off and on it will then rev freely but still smokes, worse at higher rpm. After a couple of goes at revving the spanner light returns and the car goes back to limp mode.

The story behind the car is that it's been used for a long time for short journeys and went into limp mode one day, it was taken to a garage who diagnosed poor egr airflow and fitted a new egr valve at great expense. On the way home the car went back into limp mode, it was returned to the garage where the same fault was found, at this point the car was taken home and parked up.

I'm aware of the tendency for the intake and swirl flaps to coke up on these engines and that this may be the real cause of the poor airflow, however I’ve never read of the smoke issue in conjunction with the carbon build up. It sort of makes sense as the smoke indicates poor air to fuel ratio, but I'm interested to know if others have experienced this or If I'm looking at another problem such as pump failure too.

Only thing I can think to do is have another look and see if I can move the swirl flaps at the actuator and see if it effects the smoke, but if the carbon build up is bad then this may not have any effect. And arm myself with an op-com before going to look at another. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.