Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I recently bought my first vauxhall vectra 2.0sri a few months back. All seemed well until yesterday when the water pump failed.

The AA came out to recover me and the car and diagnosed it as the water pump.
This morning I have been calling mechanics for quotes for the cambelt and waterpump.

I have one slight concern as the car won't start. I did start it once when the AA arrived but today it doesnt want to turn over.

Could there be more wrong than just the waterpump.

I have recorded an audio clip
http://media-convert.com/convert/?x...nvert.com/<? echo $langdir; ?>?xid=5-oilvuyij

If anyone can provide advice that would be great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hope ya not drove it with temp gauge up full, might of seized, does the engine still turn over, should still start if it just broken pump, water pump nothing to do with starting the engine, just keeps it cool when its running

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey linden thanks for the info.
What you said is what I would have thought.
ONe thing to mention is when the AA turned up they put water in the car and then I started it, in which it was idling.
But then I turned off the car as the AA were not ready to accompany me.
Then when I went to turn it on again, it wouldnt start.

The temp guage was on high when I pulled over, just before turning over steam was coming from the bonnet and then this increased when I stopped.

Any way to check if the head is seized?

Also I got a mechanic booked to do the waterpump on tuesday, however wouldnt this be a wasted repair if the head is seized?

Do you think it is best I try to get the car started prior to having the mechanic to fix the waterpump so I know the engine is still good?

Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent tried cranking it by hand.
Could you point out where the crank bolt is and how I would turn it, eg anti or clockwise.
Plus can any damage be done by doing this? ( a silly questino maybe as if the head is f*cked then what more damage can be done :D )

·
Back in the saddle... with a big feck off van.
1,972 Posts
Don't try and start it if the pump has taken the cambelt with it - you'll smash your valves to bits. If it is just the pump, get a garage to replace the whole cambelt kit (that means with tensioners etc), headgasket kit AND the water pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.