Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

does anyone know what is causing this problem:

Really spluttery starting when cold (the colder it is the worse it seems), once it has caught tho it runs fine. You can hear it struggling to catch then when it goes it sounds flooded for a few seconds.

Is there a cold start thingy I can check or replace?

Engine used to fire up instantly on all fours with just a flick of the key. Could injectors be a part of the problem?

Otherwise engine is in good nick and I look after it.

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi

My first suspect would be the coolant temperature sensor. This, I think, is near the inlet manifold somewhere. They can go open circuit which fools the management system into thinking that the engine is hot, thereby giving the cold start issues that you are having.

hope this helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I was thinking of something along them lines. I will get the multimeter out and check its resistance.

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

checked the resistance of the sensor, which is at the back next to the alternator. It was stone cold and reading was 1700 OHMS

I then proceeded to start it without this plugged on and it seemed to fire up quite good but would then not tick over and it cut out.

I plugged lead back on and it wouldn't start though that is the battery, which is on its way out.

I wonder if the sensor should be near enough 0 ohms for full choke then it eventually goes open circuit to give no choke as the water heats?

Might be worth replacing sensor anyway as it shouldn't cost much.

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
144 Posts
tbh, I don't know what values it should be, but as they only cost pennies (in comparison anyway) I would simply replace.

Yes, I would think that the resistance decreases as the water heats but doubt that it would go open circuit. It does not control and auto choke but rather the injectors "stay on" for longer, injecting more fuel when the engine is cold.

So stick in a new sensor and let us know what happens

1 - 8 of 8 Posts