Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought I will turn into experts to shed some light on the issue I have experienced the other day with my Insignia 2.0 CDTI Elite 2009 Reg with just over 100k on the clock.

The car usually has a 'cough' before it starts cold in the morning but it never failed starting. After a whole day and night of not driving, I went to it to start the engine. It's been cranking but failed to start. While turning, the lights on the dash were flickering and after a several attempts it gave up.

Luckily the car was parked on my driveway and I could call a breakdown cover as I am covered. The guy with real OCD arrived and we have done a number of tests together trying to eliminate possible causes one by one.

1. We checked the battery and although lower than it should be - it was still stating 'good'.
The guy connected his battery boost to the terminals - the car still failed to start.

2. Then we went through all the fuses and confirmed they are all ok.

3. We checked the engine oil level and it was at minimum. We have topped it up- car didn't start.

4. We confirmed there was more than half a tank of fuel.

5. Then we ran an 'easy start' - the test when you spray fuel directly to the engine to eliminate fuel intake issues. The car was cranking better, and started but obviously cut out as soon as it burned the fuel.
This indicated the problem of not enough fuel being available in the engine to start the car.

6. We have ran the diagnostic check and there were no fault codes stored in the ECU. Did another cranking and re-scanned to make sure we were not missing anything - still no codes showed up.

7. Then we disconnected the batter for 5 minutes and re-connected it.

The car STARTED like new! We gave each other a look and smiled.

We checked the alternator while engine was running. It was charging fine.

What could be wrong please??? Some kind of sensor?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
26,655 Posts
Hmm , Insignia need GDS midi interface to be able to interrogate all the modules in the car . The breakdown mans scanner may not have been fully compatible , so hence no codes .

Reactions: Lukass

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there you say the light flashes when you crank it?, if you just turn the ignition on what does the spanner light do, if it flashes and flashes when you crank it continuously, but still cranks over, the immobilizer is armed...if this is the case i would try another key, check the central locking works and think along the lines of OpCom and reprogramming things, if you do that you might need the PIN code that is in the users manual on a card...just a thought....From Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
The breakdown mans scanner may not have been fully compatible , so hence no codes
- That's possibly true. Just to let you know the car has been at Vauxhall last month for a full diagnostic and a routine check. They found no codes stored apart from occasional 'Service AFL Lamp' which I think is unrelated. You say, it's been a month ago and the car didn't have starting problems then. Well, it never failed starting but it was doing its usual stutter when starting cold which I think is related. Just a thought anyway.

When I'm cranking it and it's failing to start, the whole dashboard is flashing. I can just barely see the spanner icon appearing but it disappears as soon as the car stops cranking on its own after 5 or so seconds.

Next time I will try another key, thanks for the tip Fred.

When it comes to OP-COM and reprogramming, can you recommend the best vendor to get the device and and the software from? It's quite a few of them lurking on eBay and Amazon, some seem more genuine than others... Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there well this is the one i usually recommend....you can get imitation Chinese copies but half of them dont work..this guy will help you if you have any problems...with his stuff, which you shouldn't...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162252954795?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&clk_rvr_id=1143952991137&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Don't like the sound of all these lights flashing on the dash......not sure if i mentioned disconecting the battery for about 10 minutes see if that does any good...anyway best of luck with it from Fred.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.