Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

2.0 and 2.2 Dti Diesels all models no start

236K views 152 replies 59 participants last post by  andyl 
#1 ·
Hi first thing to check is the leak off pipes these are the small bore material covered pipes that run from each injector to the fuel pump
the new modified hose comes in a 1 meter length current part number 93181131 Cost £16.61 there is just enough to do all required so do not get overly generous just measure up with the pipe to be replaced - if you have difficulty getting this pipe it is available from Greasemonkeys Garage for cost plus postage just email him for further info
cheers
Steve (Greasemonkey)

#3 ·
yes leak off , spill , fuel return , small black pipes etc all do the same job - return unused fuel to the fuel pump under low pressure to be repressurised and resent to the injector to be injected into the engine through the injectors- when these pipes perish they allow air to enter the low pressure diesel system which in turn enters the high pressure system - if theres air and no diesel a diesel engine cannot run and you get either the non start or the poor start - but without the white sweet smelling smoke - this is unburnt diesel and points to poor glow plugs or poor compression rather than lack of diesel
regards
Steve

Reactions: Derek2023
#4 ·
Hi The garage who have just relieved me of another £400 to change injector seals (had stem seals changed a couple of weeks ago) say that the glow plugs are only required when below freezing point and therefore it isnt them? Is this correct? What would be causing poor compression? I have also sent you an email as in a previous thread you mentioned that you had a test to check a P1220 code - can you email it to me please at parkes_p @yahoo.co.uk

I feel I am paying for their learning at the moment!

#64 ·
Hi The garage who have just relieved me of another £400 to change injector seals (had stem seals changed a couple of weeks ago) say that the glow plugs are only required when below freezing point and therefore it isnt them? Is this correct? What would be causing poor compression? I have also sent you an email as in a previous thread you mentioned that you had a test to check a P1220 code - can you email it to me please at parkes_p yahoo.co.uk

I feel I am paying for their learning at the moment!
hello

was ours te 2.2dti r 2.0dti pump?

#5 ·
I am having starting problems with my 16 valve Zafira 2.0DTI. I have searched this site and taken note of a few pointers, but am looking for some new ideas. The facts are as follows:
- The car starts almost first turn after the “glow-plugs” have been used.
- When the car decides that the glow plugs are not required (on a warm afternoon) it’s an absolute pig to get started and WAS taking around a minute to get going.
- Once running, the car runs as close to a dream as a diesel Vauxhall can!
- My “Leak-off” pipes did appear to be perished (a couple of the inlet nuts were coated in fuel) so I replaced them. This does appear to have improved things a little and the car starts after about 10-20secs of cranking (with a plume of smoke).
- Fuel filter was done on the last service I did, about 3 months back (all new seals fitted).
- While I was replacing the “Leak-off” pipes, I tried to tighten the injector inlet nuts, but they were as tight as could be.

My feeling is that if it starts first turn when the “Glow-plugs” work, then surely the fuel must be present and the fault must be something else…though I’m no mechanic and know less about diesel motors than I do petrol.

I’m off to look for any leaks in the fuel system.

Any help is appreciated.

#6 ·
have you also checked all vac pipes and maf

also copper washers on pump to injector pipes do leak

#7 ·
if poor starting,and you have replaced the leak off pipe then more than likely it will need injector seals.the glow plugs will not cause this proplem unless in very cold conditions..you will need to carry out a vacuum test and that will tell you if the seals are leaking...these injector seals are very common on this engine for failing

#8 ·
easy way to see if injector seals leaking is to disconnect fuel return line from pump and see what colour fluid comes out, if clear then no oil present , injector seals could be ok, also check fuel filter, if black it means oil is in fuel which is injector seal fault. even the smallest split in the spill pipes can let air into the system causing poor starting.

#9 ·
It probably is an injector seal problem but there is another possibility. I was having a similar problem which I traced to a suspect fuel hose to fuel filter housing seal combined with a tank venting fault. Initially wiggling the fuel hose at the filter when it wouldn't start got it going but after a few weeks this was not enough. These seals are in the filter housing cap and don't seem to be replaceable so I replaced the cap. There was more likely to be a problem starting if the car had been standing for a day or two and the previous trip had been a long one. I had noticed for a long time that when refuelling there would be an inrush of air into the tank when I took the filler cap off but had come to regard this as normal. I had checked the cap by sucking and blowing on it and it appeared to be venting normally but it can't have been when it was screwed back on the car. I had less trouble starting if I had opened the filler cap at the end of the previous trip to fill the partial vacuum which had formed in the tank. I fitted a new filler cap as well as the filter cap. I don't get the inrush of air any more and it is starting reliably again. It looks as though the vacuum in the tank after a long run was drawing air into the filter housing through the poor seal while the car was standing afterwards. When I next tried to start it would run for a second or two on the fuel in the pump but would then pull in the air in the filter housing. Purging that would take a lot of starter motor churning.

#10 ·
Hi All,
I also have Starting Problems with my Zafira 2.0 diesel year 2000.

In the Morning if its Very Cold its a Real Bugger, If I heat it up a few times then Turn it Over it seems as its going to Start but then Cuts out as soon as it starts? And if I go somewhere and leave it stand for a few Hours then it Plays up starting again Especially if Very Cold!

I have changed the Leak Off Pipes and Heater Plugs on my Zafira but still very Poor Starting and Alot worse now in the Cold weather!

I have been to 2 Vauxhall Main Dealers with the 1st Vauxhall Garage saying Heater Plugs? Which I changed and was still the same afterwards!!

Then I took it to the 2nd Vauxhall Garage and they couldn't find a problem on Tech 2 Machine!

I told them I Changed Leak Off Pipes and Heater Plugs and could they keep my vehicle there till the next morning and see if it played up Starting then? And to do a Vacuum Test Overnight?

When I went to the garage next day they said they couldn't see anything leaking on gauge and was about the same as night before on Vacum Gauge?

So I said to them to change Leak Off Pipes AGAIN! And Fit a New Diesel Fuel Filter which they did, They told me to take it away and see how I get on? I also told them I noticed one of them White Rings which go into DIESEL FUEL FILTER HOUSING IS LOOSE ON PIPE? They told me that wouldn't Cause this Problem.....

Well I tried that and it was exactly the same and I phoned them back and now there saying it could be the Injector Seals - Which the Top Mechanic said he can change them without taking Cam right out just lifts it alittle with Tool but will still cost around £165-£200??

I do not want to keep spending Money on this Problem and Still not Fix it! Can anybody help me with this problem??

Cheers Gaz.

#11 ·
go with injector seals

Reactions: wilko27
#12 ·
Have you ever had this problem with your ZAFIRA / VECTRA 2.0 Di DIESEL??

If so what did you do to Cure it??... As losing my Head over this Car?

UPDATE... 17th Feb 2009............

I bought a Zafira for the Missis around 2 yrs ago in the Summer and Not Long After Buying it Around Xmas Time One Morning she wouldn't Start at all?....I towed it to the Vauxhall Garage and I was thinking Defo Diesel Pump as Known Problem as I have had a few go on me already!.........But No they Said it was Crank Sensor Fault?

I bought the Crank Sensor there and Then!.....Fitted it and Still the Same!.....

Took it to another Vauxhall Garage and they said Not showing Pump Fault but we will do some Checks.....Came back to me a few days Later saying YES the Pump is Gone!

I put a 2nd Hand Diesel Pump on it off a 38,000 Miles Engine, But the Car has been very Funny Starting especially as last winter came along and Noticed it was a real Bugger Gone when Parking Front End Up a Hill......Or leaving it stand in the Cold...Like the Heater Plugs wasn't working?

I took it to a Couple Of Vauxhall Dealers to put it on Tech Meter and they Said No Faults Showing on Here?... Do the Leak Off Pipes...Which I already done a few Months Before?

So I did change the.....Leak Off Pipes Again to Genuine Vauxhall Pipes not Factor ones...

No Difference.............Took it back to Vauxhall.....Then they said its Now showing Heater Plugs?

Then I Changed the.....Heater Plugs Brand New Genuine Vauxhall Ones........Still The Same!......No Difference..........

I then got another Heater Plug Relay.........Still The Same!!

Then Changed the Diesel Fuel Filter and seales around the Top of Housing!!.....Still the Same!

Vauxhall Garage then said after me doing all the Above it will Defo be the..... Diesel Injector Seals....So had them done Last Week............Guess What!

It did seem to Start abit better last week Facing Downhill or on the Flat....But Tonight I parked with the Front End Facing UPHILL..... And it Wouldn't Start Again!!....I had to roll it down a Hill so the Car was quite Flat and Kept turning it Over eventually it Started?

I also put a Top of the Range Battery's on it thought that would Help!...No Joy

I have really lost my Temper with this Car Unreal? It either seems as its Sucking in Air or Like the Diesel Fuel Filter is emptying or Diesel Going Back to the Tank!

I used to have a Garage myself and Know the Common Problems with the Vauxhall 2.0 Di Diesels....LEAK OFF PIPES/PUMPS/DIESEL INJECTOR SEALS ETC ETC

But any Advice you could give me would be very very Helpful and very much Appreciated!

Cheers Gaz.

#13 ·
What can I say other than I've had a W reg 2.0 Diesel from new. I've had to change the run off pipes twice now ( at different times) because of exactly the same fault you describe and I mean exactly. In both cases that solved the problem. The first length of pipe was from a factors the second proper Vauxhall. Sorry I can't help more. Best of luck John

If so what did you do to Cure it??... As losing my Head over this Car?

UPDATE... 17th Feb 2009............

I bought a Zafira for the Missis around 2 yrs ago in the Summer and Not Long After Buying it Around Xmas Time One Morning she wouldn't Start at all?....I towed it to the Vauxhall Garage and I was thinking Defo Diesel Pump as Known Problem as I have had a few go on me already!.........But No they Said it was Crank Sensor Fault?

I bought the Crank Sensor there and Then!.....Fitted it and Still the Same!.....

Took it to another Vauxhall Garage and they said Not showing Pump Fault but we will do some Checks.....Came back to me a few days Later saying YES the Pump is Gone!

I put a 2nd Hand Diesel Pump on it off a 38,000 Miles Engine, But the Car has been very Funny Starting especially as last winter came along and Noticed it was a real Bugger Gone when Parking Front End Up a Hill......Or leaving it stand in the Cold...Like the Heater Plugs wasn't working?

I took it to a Couple Of Vauxhall Dealers to put it on Tech Meter and they Said No Faults Showing on Here?... Do the Leak Off Pipes...Which I already done a few Months Before?

So I did change the.....Leak Off Pipes Again to Genuine Vauxhall Pipes not Factor ones...

No Difference.............Took it back to Vauxhall.....Then they said its Now showing Heater Plugs?

Then I Changed the.....Heater Plugs Brand New Genuine Vauxhall Ones........Still The Same!......No Difference..........

I then got another Heater Plug Relay.........Still The Same!!

Then Changed the Diesel Fuel Filter and seales around the Top of Housing!!.....Still the Same!

Vauxhall Garage then said after me doing all the Above it will Defo be the..... Diesel Injector Seals....So had them done Last Week............Guess What!

It did seem to Start abit better last week Facing Downhill or on the Flat....But Tonight I parked with the Front End Facing UPHILL..... And it Wouldn't Start Again!!....I had to roll it down a Hill so the Car was quite Flat and Kept turning it Over eventually it Started?

I also put a Top of the Range Battery's on it thought that would Help!...No Joy

I have really lost my Temper with this Car Unreal? It either seems as its Sucking in Air or Like the Diesel Fuel Filter is emptying or Diesel Going Back to the Tank!

I used to have a Garage myself and Know the Common Problems with the Vauxhall 2.0 Di Diesels....LEAK OFF PIPES/PUMPS/DIESEL INJECTOR SEALS ETC ETC

But any Advice you could give me would be very very Helpful and very much Appreciated!

Cheers Gaz.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Frontera 2.2 dti sport no start

Hi all,
Guess what, my Frontera returned from a hauling a 2 tonne trailer of stuff from Brum yesterday and this morning wont start. Its a 2001 and done 67k miles.
It normally starts instantly. This time it spluttered a few revs with significantly more smoke then no joy- just as if no fuel. Changed fuel filter/ housing seals, checked injector spill off rubber pipes all seem in good nick and secure:shake.
any ideas before I get the RAC to take it to the local Vauxhall dealer?
Cheers,
Peter

Well I called RAC man and between us we changed the fuel filter/canister top and screw seal, purged the air out by unscrewing the lefthand thread valve unter the "prime pump" red cap and sucked using a bit of fuel hose and a bulb pump ( like doc uses to take blood pressure). We eased off the rubber hose from the intake manifold/intercooler and squirted easystart in until it fired up and ran.
All seemed ok but on restarting 10 mins later took a number of revs on the starter to get going. It was too late to get hold of VX dealer by then so next morning went and got a hose replacement kt (#93181131) and 3 x plastic tees (#9281478) £36 in total incl vat.

Pulled off old pipes and made up new. In trying to fit found than about 3mm of cyl 3 and 4 got left behind on the injector metal outlet pipe. Had to make up a very small chisel to cut it up down the head hole and a wire hook to get the bits out. That done and piped up, eased off the turbo intercooler/manifold pipe, cranked it over squirting in easystart and it after 10 secs burst into life. Ran to warm up all ok. Switched off and refitted the Dragon Chip. Started again instantly about 1/2 hour later. Tried again 6 hours later having parked it nose up a 30 deg slope, again started instantly.
The new pipe supplied is like a small reinforced rubber fuel pipe. The old one showed cracks when the fabric covering was cut off.
Hope this is all useful,
Cheers,
Peter

#19 ·
if the issue is when parked facing uphill then chances are that you have a leak in the fuel feed line. this lets in air and allows fuel to drain back to tank.
Sorry to say in most cases the fault of fuel draining back is due to the leak off pipes letting in air - because the fuel system is a vacumn one rather than a pumped one this causes the fuel to run back down the entire system - eventually damaging the pump if left unrepaired
regards
Steve

Reactions: geezza70
#20 ·
Hi guys,
thought i would try and help with my experiences on two of these engines, I do not claim to be an expert but here is what i did to cure both of them with the same faults you are describing,both of these were diesel vectra so it may be differnt on a Zafira but i cant see why?and yes i had changed the leak off pipes, its the first thing i do on any diesel with starting problems
I went to PEUGOT DEALER (sorry) and bought a 406hdi striaght ended
prime pump,(£17) this is basically a rubber bulb that you squeeze to suck diesel up from the tank to prime the injector pump, but the important thing is it has a oneway valve in it,
I then cut the main fuel supply line and inserted the primepump into the circuit,using small jubilee clips to clamp it , squeeze the pump till it goes hard and turn key car starts first time every time and more importantly as it has a one way valve the fuel cannot return or drain back to the tank so the injector pump is always ful of fuel, if the car doesent start at anytime its a simple matter to open bonnet and swueeze the primepump a couple of times to get fuel up to the injector pump
hope it helps at least some of you
Omegatoy

#22 ·
see post on your thread in forum

#23 ·
starting probs with zafira diesel 2001 model

i have a cold starting probs.I checked the glow plug .It s fine while check it in outside. and checked the leak of pipe. That si also fine. Now no idea what to do. one of my friend said that could be the glow plug relay. is their any reply is their , and where is fitted .is it under the dash board. or??????

#24 ·
If you own a 20 di the car will start all weather and freezing without glow plugs. if you have a 2.0 or2.2dti you need the glow plugs to start the car 10 months of the year. they are all the same. I have had 2 x 2.0 dti vectras 1 x 2.2Dti vectra nad I still havea 2.2 dti omega which will not start unless you use glow plus even in this climate now.

#25 ·
if you have a 2.0 or2.2dti you need the glow plugs to start the car 10 months of the year. they are all the same. I have had 2 x 2.0 dti vectras 1 x 2.2Dti vectra nad I still have a 2.2 dti omega which will not start unless you use glow plus even in this climate now.
thats strange both my 2.2dti does not need them or the astra 2.0dti and zafira 2.0dti

#26 ·
i have a cold starting probs.I checked the glow plug .It s fine while check it in outside. and checked the leak of pipe. That si also fine. Now no idea what to do. one of my friend said that could be the glow plug relay. is their any reply is their , and where is fitted .is it under the dash board. or??????

not glow plugs change filter in tis weather should start without them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.