Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

2.0 and 2.2 Dti Diesels all models no start

236K views 152 replies 59 participants last post by  andyl 
It probably is an injector seal problem but there is another possibility. I was having a similar problem which I traced to a suspect fuel hose to fuel filter housing seal combined with a tank venting fault. Initially wiggling the fuel hose at the filter when it wouldn't start got it going but after a few weeks this was not enough. These seals are in the filter housing cap and don't seem to be replaceable so I replaced the cap. There was more likely to be a problem starting if the car had been standing for a day or two and the previous trip had been a long one. I had noticed for a long time that when refuelling there would be an inrush of air into the tank when I took the filler cap off but had come to regard this as normal. I had checked the cap by sucking and blowing on it and it appeared to be venting normally but it can't have been when it was screwed back on the car. I had less trouble starting if I had opened the filler cap at the end of the previous trip to fill the partial vacuum which had formed in the tank. I fitted a new filler cap as well as the filter cap. I don't get the inrush of air any more and it is starting reliably again. It looks as though the vacuum in the tank after a long run was drawing air into the filter housing through the poor seal while the car was standing afterwards. When I next tried to start it would run for a second or two on the fuel in the pump but would then pull in the air in the filter housing. Purging that would take a lot of starter motor churning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.