Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,can someone please help,i've just bought a vectra v6.The problem i've got is that after 5 miles continuous driving the engine totally dies.(not good in the outside lane of the motorway).No EM light illuminates.The engine turns but wont start until about 3mins later,then after another 5 miles excactly the same again.It happens ALL THE TIME and is not intermittent.I was told it could be the crank sensor but looking at some previous invoices this part was replaced 2 years ago.Could it be this sensor again or could it be something else.Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
My guess (and it is just that) is that the fuel system is air-locking or not delivering. (many many years ago I fixed a motor where opening the fuel filler solved the problem... the tank vents were blocked, so the fuel pump sucked up what it could until the pressure in the tank dropped and it couldn't suck any more.... releasing the fuel cap OR letting it stand let the air bleed back into the tank, hence the pump could draw fuel again.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does the engine stall if you leave it idling with all electrics off for as long as it takes to drive 5 miles?
Have any new electrical items been fitted to the car, GPS, stereo, hands free car kit? Could something be upsetting the engine management.

Not very helpful I know but I'm trying to think outside the box a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys.in reply to kiethv6 ,leaving it to idle for a while and see what happens seems a good idea,i,ll try that tomorrow and let u know,thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for replys,i dont know if the cam sensors been changed recently but itdoes'nt hunt while idling.There are 3 plugs on top of the timing belt cover,i think the first one is for the crankshaft sensor.The middle one is very very loose and wont plug in tightly.Whats this plug do??Thanks again people

·
Registered
154 Posts
i would say cam or crank shaft sensor, usually the cam sensor on vectras... the crank usually causes starting problems coz it involves top dead centre and the cam is the one that causes the stalling.

they are really idiotic, ive never know anyone to have a problem with either a cam shaft or crank shaft but have heard of about 2 bazillion sensors going which really makes me ask whats the point of having them since its the thing that should stop problems causing the problems...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it for a 25 mile drive today and performed perfectly,i still dont trust the beast though.Probably change fuel pump,thanks again . can somebody please tell me what the 3 plugs are for on top of the timing belt cover,cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
another problem now hope someone can help. tried to start the car monday but it would not start battery turns over but no ignition. tried to get some codes from it but the car would not talk to the machine. anybody know what it could be cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.