Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner came home saying her car wont start. Its a 1995 1.4 Tigra.
I went and had a quick look (not that i know much about cars, but im a bloke lol)
When the ignition key is turned, the dashboard lights are all iluminated and when fully turned a clicking sound can be heard, but the engine does not even attempt to fire.
Sometimes the engine management light flashes and sometimes it doesnt.
The only other thing i was gonna mention is my other half paid around £300 about 6 months ago to have a new ecu valve fitted (or old one repaired? cant remember)
Is this possibly linked to current problem as dont wanna be forking out £300 again :(
I had a previous problem like this on my old car (Peugeot 306) and it was the immobiliser. Problem was rectified by disconnecting the battery leads for a few minutes then reconnecting and then quickly jump in car and press and hold a button under the steering column whilst turning the key.
Is there a similar solution for this Tigra?

TIA

TD

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
battery mate by the sounds of it try jumping it ....if it starts of a jump it might be the battery..

happened to our tigra a couple of weeks back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I will certainly try this when its light tomorrow.
This has never happened before though.
My other half stopped at her mothers house which is about 100 metres down the road. She popped in for 5 minutes, when she came out and jumped back in the car, it wouldnt start? :(
I thought this was kinda strange as it had started just fine 5 minutes before?

TD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok update...

I used jump leads from battery on my own car today and the tigra turned over and started straight away :)
Took the tigra for a quick run and then left it idling for about 45 minutes. It satrted getting hot, so i turned it off.
Tried the ignition again and nothing - back to square 1 :(
So what dya reckon?
battery, alternator or immobiliser?

TIA

TD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jump starting the car and having it running for 45 minutes does not mean battery car will get a good charge... some low percent if any. And it could be damaged so it won't take charge (for example, having a shortcircuited cell it would never reach a proper voltage).

So I would do one of two things: (1) properly recharge battery overnight or (2) replace battery straight away. How much time does it have?

Regards,

JOSE
http://jvgavila.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies so far - much appreciated :)
update...
I put jump leads on it again and once again it started first time without having to wait.
I then took it for a 40 mile (65Km) run which took just over 1 hour.
Car was running/driving fine, no probs at all, but when i got back home and turned ignition off, guess what - nothing :(
Back to square 1 :(
So should i be buying a new battery? or looking at getting the alternator checked out?

TIA

TD

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
get it running & check the charge rate across the battery , should be about 13.5 - 14v , if thats ok then the battery is duff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks people, but were still having issues with this same car :(
You were spot on previously with the battery :)
Replaced the battery and tigra fired up first time :)
Everything seemed fine until 3 days ago, now whats happening is...
When the ignition is turned, the engine starts, but then dies immediately.
If i give it some extra gas, it revs up high (as you would expect obviously), but the same again, just dies immediately after :(
I dont wanna keep trying things or the new battery will be destroyed too lol.
Any ideas this time please? and thanks everyone for answering :)

TD

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
EM light on??

a lot of car shop will check the alternator and battery condition for free..

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
Thanks people, but were still having issues with this same car :(
You were spot on previously with the battery :)
Replaced the battery and tigra fired up first time :)
Everything seemed fine until 3 days ago, now whats happening is...
When the ignition is turned, the engine starts, but then dies immediately.
If i give it some extra gas, it revs up high (as you would expect obviously), but the same again, just dies immediately after :(
I dont wanna keep trying things or the new battery will be destroyed too lol.
Any ideas this time please? and thanks everyone for answering :)

TD
when it does this is the em light flashing , it sounds like an immobiliser fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice.
Yes em light is flashing.
So is there a way of resetting the immobilser without taking it to a garage?
At the moment were struggling to even do that as it wont start at all and my car doesnt have a tow bar.
We really just wanna get the tigra running again and then sell it straight away and get something newer.
Im not too clued up on car mechanics/electrics etc, but am i right in saying that i need the central locking (powered key) to be working to reset immobiliser?
The central locking key used to work, but a few days ago, i dropped the key and it split open on the road. I put it back together again, but it doesnt seem to work now :(
Anyways, we would be extremely greatful if you knowledgable people out there can help us get this tigra running again.
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread :)

Regards
TD

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
am i right in saying that i need the central locking (powered key) to be working to reset immobiliser?
Nope. The immobilser chip doesn't need any power.

The central locking key used to work, but a few days ago, i dropped the key and it split open on the road. I put it back together again, but it doesnt seem to work now
Ah ha. Sounds like when you dropped it, the little immobiliser chip fell out. You can resync the central locking by putting the key in the ignition, turning until you get the dash lights, then press the fob buttons. But if you've lost the little chip, then you've got no chance of starting the car until a replacement chip is bought and programmed to the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts