Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im new this forum and desperate for help. im a student who heavily relies on his car for work :/.
yesterday went to start up my car( prev no issues runs sweet) and car would start fine then rumble with the rev needle sort of bouncing on idle, then would slowly drop then cut out.
this would continue to happen each time i cranked the engine.
eventually,there would be a sort of white smoke lingering out of the exhaust.

ive recorded and uploaded two videos to help:

PLEASE ANY HELP IS REQUIRED.
I HAVENT HAD ANY ERROR CODES JUST TO MENTION

THANKS again :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just an update, had a fiddle with the 02 sensor. disconnected reconnnected it also unplugged and plugged the fuel filter ( defnitiely leaking some oil/fuel) and returned to start the engine, came up with two codes which i didnt have before:
pc0008. pc00021

please any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum

How did you get the codes, did you use Opcom.

If like you say it starts runs a few seconds then chuggs and cuts out, have you tried the EGR valve make sure its working and clean, I think your car has a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) in the exhaust this could be blocked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi man thanks for the reply :) well initially when the recovery guy plugged the obd code diagnostic reader in he showed no codes that was yesterday. today as i was fiddling around with the engine( checking fuel filter and map/02 sensor ) were connected i tried and those codes came up. ive also flattened my battery in the proces of continually cranking my car lol.

im not sure if youve had a chance to see the clips above, i was told the whitish smoke was due to head gasket? my thought was it probably wasnt as the car was perfect before no loss of power/consumption etc.

one thing to note though is it hasnt been serviced in a while and i have done alot of miles in it ( i have topped up the oil and coolant though)

any thoughts on what to do next?

cheers.

ive been told it could be head gasket *although i have a gut instinct its not, it could be a dirty map sensor, egr valve issue, fuel pump or fuel filter.

my fuel filter does seem to leak oil as well .

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
Can you confirm the engine type,fault codes and what they were read with?,
the codes don't apply to the 1.9 engine in an H.

Reactions: oberlisc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi the codes were simply found using the pedal test. this was done the day after the car came up with no codes. im not sure if its because i messed about with anything or because i was trying to start it multiple times.

the codes that came up read ending in 0008 and 0021 and said "ecn" whilst the codes showed.

its the
1910 cc engine, im not sure what the engine number is...again im not that mechanically minded :/

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
you should get a long number under the ecn,like the pic
could you do the pedal test again and post the complete number
Car Vehicle Measuring instrument Gauge Auto part

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again

so i decided to record it thinking it would be easier.

let me know if you have any issues viewing

thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i disconnected and reconnected the MAP sensor as well as the fuel filter wires - im 99% sure ive clicked them back into position so not sure if these codes are related to the fact i disconnected them or theyre unrelated.

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
The codes are
P0100 08 Mass Or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0100 21 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction
did you turn the ignition on with the MAF sensor unplugged ?

Just a thought but you didn't fill with fuel just before this problem started ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i did actually :) had almost an empty tank and so filled in about 25 diesel then drove approx 50 miles or so before getting home. no issues during the journey apart from cornish weather lol. only noticed the issue shown in the first two videos about 5-6 hours after returning to the car.

coming to think about it yeh. i tried starting the car with the MAF sensor disconnected it ticked over but still cut out then reconnected it.

thanks for the update on the codes, ill have a gander online and see what could be the issue?

·
Premium Member
13,424 Posts
Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, this some times reset the modules and wipes the codes, disconnecting the MAF and turning ignition on has created the MAF malfunction code.

I think Valer means what engine is in your car, you say its a 1.9cdti is it 120bhp or 150bhp

You should be able to tell by the oil filler cap on top of the engine, the 120bhp is on the left as you look down at the engine, the 150bhp is on the right as you look down on the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANKS ALOT DUDE :) will give it a try first thing tomorow :)
also another member mentioned something about whether i fueled up before i had these issues... which i did.
whats your thoughts on this any thoughts on how fueling can cause these issues?

·
Premium Member
13,424 Posts
The only thing I can think of you may have a air lock in the system, try taking the cap of your fuel tank listen to see if it suck any air in, also change your fuel filter if its never been done it could be black, also when you turn your ignition on do you hear the fuel pump prime.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Um.... you did put diesel in ?
Not petrol?
Are you sure?
:)
There are only 2 types of diesel car drivers... those that have miss-fueled and those that haven't.... YET!!
:)
Here speaks a man that NEARLY filled up his petrol Astra K with diesel today. :) :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha im 999 percent sure i fueled up with goold ol diesel :) but yeh that did cross my mind and if i think about it long enough i can convince myself that i did hehhe
but yeh almost certain that it was diesel :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi thanks for the reply. booked in for garage tomorrow.
i was just curious to know, can a dodgy fuel filter( hasnt been changed in a while done a lot of driving since last service if im honest few thousand i would guess) can that cause the car sputtering then stalling.. as shown in the first video

ill update tomorow hopefully nothing serious.

my main concern was if the gasket was gone, due to the weird smoke from the exhuast shown in the first video.
is that still a possibility?
My thinking was either petrol was put in,you got a bad fill of diesel or with tank being empty it sucked up a good old load of [email protected],
it's definitely worth changing the fuel filter

·
17,194 Posts
Yes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts