Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 11 days after it was bought the engine management light has been coming on. car goes into dealers, light reset and "anti poloution system cleaned" - another couple of weeks and its on again, same again, lasted a day, this time the dealer said they wanted to replace the EGR valve, only before it got there the car lost power and the management light went out and the poloution control light came on. By this point the car was was incapable of doing more than 15mph. also producing a lot of water (not steam) from the exhaust. currently awaiting towing to the dealer.

So... Just the EGR, or is there something else FUBARed?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since you've only had it 11 days , I would consider rejecting the car. Failing that, hassle the dealer to get their finger out and sort the problem - and while they are doing it demand a temporary replacement (if they haven't got any give them the number of the local Enterprise Rental outfit).

I'd go with a mixture of ECU, EGR and DPF. Demand all replaced (mine have been).

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was 11 days at first breakdown, we have now had the car over a month, but this is its third breakdown. The DPF, full exhaust and EGR ave now been replaced - so fingers crossed its fixed. We had a towbar fitted, this would be a bugger to remove if we reject the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Understand better now... Right, on mine symptyms were similiar, DPF changed first, then EGR and then ECU. Before they changed the ECU, I still got loads of 'spanner' lights on and loss of power. The dealer believed the ECU was sending / recieving duff signals and causing problems. So far (fingers and legs crossed) all seems ok.. Tell them you are not happy with there stil lbeing probs on the car (don't lose your rag with them) and can the situation be passed to VX directly to assist.

My dealer did this automatically as I kept getting repeat faults - I never once lost it with the service guys, although at times I could have done very easily. They saw me as a reasonable customer and were will to try everything to resolve the issue. They even gave me a big discount for the 40k mile service.

Keep us informed on what happens

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh buggeration.

About 2 weeks have passed since the exhaust and EGR haave been replaced and now the car is smoking and smelling hot - smoke from under the plastic cover on the engine, mid section of exhaust also smoking hot and clouds of grey smoke fronm the exhaust.

Now trying to get the manager to return my calls.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, its off back in on Monday to be looked over. Im going to ask if there is an ECU upgrade like the Mevera that shows the glowplug lamp flashing when the car needs or is in a DPF clean cycle - oddly my handbook says the heated rear window will come on, but it doesnt and the new one downloaded from the Vaux site says that the glowplug light will flash.

Currently the DPF is screaming hot all the time (makes cracking and pinking noises when engine shut down) - not sure if this is normal or some weird and wonderful fault. Other than this I quite like the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, gets blatted down the M6 at least once a week 60 or 70 miles at speed, the problem I think is that with the 6th gear, even at speeds of 80+ its still easy to keep under 2000 RPM, and the DPF isnt supposed to opperate (clean cycle) at engine speeds below this. Some indication of the need for the DPF to opperate would be helpfull. I mean how frequently is it supposed to opperate? How many miles on average? Does anyone know? Perrys certainly cant give me an answer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think there is an 'average' between re-gens.

I know what you mean about RPM and 6th gear. Mine had a new ECU and new code loaded that gets round that as VX now understand more about the problem. The new code allows for lower RPM.

Although my HRW doesn't look like it's on (button def not illuminated) I think it does as I noticed steam coming off the door mirrors the other day and the instant MPG confirmed a regen was happening. I fully agree about there should be a light on the dash to warn and confirm a regen.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
Currently the DPF is screaming hot all the time (makes cracking and pinking noises when engine shut down) - not sure if this is normal or some weird and wonderful fault. Other than this I quite like the car.
the dpf will make a cracking and oinking noise you mention,also the exhaust smoke will be a grey colour

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the dealer says the car is working as it shoud do, they also say that whilst there should be an indication that the car is going trough a re gen cycle, that they cant update the ECU - aparently (and the print out says this) the man who has been on a course at Luton says they cant re progrm the ECU with any new data.
Hey ho, so its a case of guessin when its going through a regen then as we dont have a dash indicator, and we dont have a MPG indicator (Life trim).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.