Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.

I want to talk about V-Belt change interval becouse to me it sounds wierd.

In manual GM says:
Change interval for Astra G X18XE1 engine is: 60`000km (40`000 milles).
Change interval for Astra G Z18XE engine is: 90`000km (~60`000 milles).

Also almost the same info is in Contitech change interval listed, but its like: Astra G 1.8i till 2002 year 60`000km, but from 2003 year 90`000km change intervals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contitech belt kit CT975K3 or CT975WP3 is the latest kit and fits to these both engines. In these latest kits inside is a new version of guide IDLER pulley: V55373. The Oldest or the "bad things can happen?????" IDLER pulley is V55313. These Idler pulley part numers are orginal GM.

Also there is a Installation tip – for tensioning pulley with CT975K3 or CT975WP3 kit to avoid engine damage.
It - says:
Problem:
The tensioning pulley makes noises after operating for a certain amount of time. In subsequent operation, the arrester can break and the belt loses its tension. As a rule, this results in damage to the engine!
Couse:
When cold, the pointer on the tensioning pulley no longer points to the mark and strikes the cold stop after each combustion cycle (hence the noise).

This was just a Info.

As I have driven the latest CT975K3 kit on my x18xe1 engine wich also fits to electric throttle z18xe, saab 9-3 1.8i and some chevrovlet cars engines should I swap the kit at 60`000km or 90`000km?

Is there any other factors why I couldnt go for 90`000km or the GM manual is not up to date and the aftermarket belt manufatuers just put information on the belt change intervals just from the GM manuals.???

·
Premium Member
16,323 Posts
Gm issued a bulletin to all dealers to reduce service interval to 40k miles/4 years due to the amount of belts breaking. Also you should change the waterpump at the same time

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i see u dont read it or didnt get it right.

Why the belts did break?
Was it with the old kit or the latest?
To wich engine of these 2 they did reduce the change interval?
And so on and so on questions....... ehhhh.

·
Premium Member
16,323 Posts
The belts break because of the extra wear on the belt from all the pulleys plus water pump.

From memory it was reduced for z14xe, z14xe, z16se, z16xe, x18xe1 and z18xe - All of these had cambelt driven water pumps and that bulletin was issued regardless of year or kit as it superseded gms previous belt change intervals

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that`s understandable - they redused the change interval. But that doesnt answer my question or that wierdo - how it is possible that Z18XE engine can make ~20`0000 milles more with the same timing belt kit as X18Xe1 engine.

·
Premium Member
16,323 Posts
The GM for you it's not relevant now because they are all the same 40,000 miles or 4 years. I suspect they saw more x18 belts snapping first so they adjusted the service interval but later on they saw it on other engines which is why they sent a bulletin to all vx dealers stating 40k/4 years for al the engines I quoted above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts