Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1.7di not starting

[Corsa Combo Van] 
3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ECO16V 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had a problem getting their combo to start after a service? Changed the oil and oil filter and fuel filter on my 1.7di and now it won't start at all. Filled the fuel filter housing up with fresh diesel before turning her over and she ran for a few minutes before cutting out and now it won't start. There doesn't appear to be any fuel coming from the outlet side of the filter housing, I've tried bleeding it by loosing off the injector pipes but still no joy. Had the edu checked over to ensure it was ok and no faults found with it. Tried bump starting the van and can get it to start that way but have to hold the revs on it to keep it running, won't rev past 2k with my foot to the floor. Tried driving it when it's running and it's like a kangaroo and won't rev, occasionally will rev when the clutch is dipped but still holding back and eventually chokes itself out. Anyone got any ideas?

#2 ·
Sounds as if it is sucking air at the filter somewhere. I don't think these have a pump in the tank, so you won't normally get fuel from the filter outlet. The main pump has to suck the fuel through, so any air leaks at the filter will cause problems. Was it running ok before you changed the filter?

Reactions: Fred Bassett
#4 ·
Thanks for the reply, yeah it was running fine before service, and you are correct there is no in tank pump. I'm thinking possibly the filter housing has got damaged maybe.
Well, if it was running ok before then it must be caused by something you have disturbed.
It may be worth connecting a vacuum pump to the filter outlet and seeing if you get a clear stream of diesel. I used a Silverline vacuum oil change pump.
My son's Astra did something similar, and when I connected my vacuum oil change pump, I kept getting air through.
It turned out to be the dreaded black sludge growing in the fuel in the tank. blocking the inlets to the swirl pot in the tank.
Good luck!

#5 ·
Disconnected fuel filter housing tonight and put the end of the pipe that feeds the injection pump into a bottle of fresh diesel and bled the system at the injectors while cranking over and the van started and ran perfectly. Topped up the filter housing and reconnected the pipe work, van started ok and ran for a few moments then started to choke itself out and would only stay running with the throttle held open so I'm assuming the problem is with the filter housing itself?

#6 ·
Sounds like it doesn't it?
When you tightened the top was it just by feel or did you use a low range torque wrench?

#9 ·
Check the seal,i've seen a few now where it's not seated centrally and causing fuelling issues,
if you pull the seal out of the lid you can see the groove made where the case beds in to it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.