Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The van has broken down and is a 53 plate DI .
I reckon I will be changing starter motor tomorrow but what is it like to get to on the Corsa / Combo ?

Haven't gone to get it yet but just wondering if anyone has done one .

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't look like there is any room at all . Think might need to remove drivers side driveshaft ?

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right here is some info to help anyone else , figured it out myself .

1. Remove gear change support bar . You will find a clip on the selector to the gearbox . You will find a torx bolt holding the bar to the subframe , undo these .

2. Undo starter motor bolts top and bottom .

3. Remove wiring to starter motor .

4. Drop motor . There is sod all room but it does come out .

0. - first of all remove battery before attempting any of above .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Brilliant mate, thanks very much. My van has been labouring to turn over for a wee while now and I have suspected a lazy starter for some time, but on turning the key it is just not energizing anymore. What a nightmare to get into though! I'm hoping To get away with replacing the brushes, but wont know the score until I see what condition it is in.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Brilliant mate, thanks very much. My van has been labouring to turn over for a wee while now and I have suspected a lazy starter for some time, but on turning the key it is just not energizing anymore. What a nightmare to get into though! I'm hoping To get away with replacing the brushes, but wont know the score until I see what condition it is in.
It's not an easy job, rather fiddly and time consuming. I would just get a recon one, you definitely don't want to be doing it twice. I presume you have checked the cables and connections first?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I checked them and they all seemed fine. But over this last week, it's gotten worse by the day so it was dying on its feet so to speak. I was more or less just waiting on the time I would go to start it and it just wouldn't go! This morning it was making a very strange squeaking noise as I tried to turn it over..nothing at all like the familiar clicking of the solenoid when the battery is poor. It obviously didn't start this morning so I went back to it this afternoon and when I turned the key I got full ignition lights etc, but nothing at all from the starter. Tried jump leads and still nothing. It bump started very easily first time so it's now up on ramps in my drive. I only have the bolt from the gearbox end to extract and I should hopefully be able to wrestle it out. I haven't taken the gearbox support bracket out so it's not coming out that way, but I did remove the square module (whatever it is) and the large irregular shaped bracket it attaches to which is located directly to the rear of the starter motor.
I'm with you on the reconditioned motor too..lol..it's more wishful thinking that I simply change the brushes and I drive off into the sunset having saved myself a fortune :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.