Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Long time lurker but just registered.
I've got a 1.7 dti that wouldn't start, after much reading I reckoned it would be the EDU, just changed that now but I still have to prime by switching on and off before it will turn over.
Did I waste £125? Could it be the pump itself? I need the car for work but if it's likely to cost £100s I might have to get another. I've had the cambelt and water pump done and have given it fresh oil every 6000, I've had it for 21,000 miles and it's been great apart from this problem so I'd rather try to fix it if I can.
I managed the EDU from the top (scratched my arms up a treat!) and I can only work on the car in my street so I can't do much that would require ramps/axle stands.
It is running, I just don't trust it to start every time now.
Finally, I changed the fuel filter a while ago but instead of topping up the filter with fresh diesel I put a bottle of injector cleaner (kerosene basically) in. Would this have caused a problem?
Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean from a reader and app? No, not on this car because it doesn't work with the OBDII thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a multimeter being delivered tomorrow so I can check the alternator. Battery is new. When it turns over properly it starts easily so I ruled out glow plugs. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
You need opcom then mate, it does all the stuff you need its main dealer level.

A multimeter is another good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome Cherry,
Also had intermittent starting probs with my 1.7dti. Pedal trick (as in sticky above) gave a list of codes; like you I followed the trail - gloplugs/relay/edu - replaced/repaired all to no avail. Finally bit the bullet and got a s/h ecu kit off ebay. Sorted! starts on the button every time for two years now. Ecu's aren't self-diagnosing, so when they start playing up, they'll flag up codes in a variety of directions. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Cherry,
Also had intermittent starting probs with my 1.7dti. Pedal trick (as in sticky above) gave a list of codes; like you I followed the trail - gloplugs/relay/edu - replaced/repaired all to no avail. Finally bit the bullet and got a s/h ecu kit off ebay. Sorted! starts on the button every time for two years now. Ecu's aren't self-diagnosing, so when they start playing up, they'll flag up codes in a variety of directions. Good luck.
Thanks Alun! I tried the pedal trick but it just flashed quickly so I assumed that meant no codes - I could have that very wrong though! I'll check again.
I've bitten the bullet and got some chocks and axle stands, mine is the eco4 so there's a cover underneath that needs to come off, then I'm removing the starter to check it and possibly replace it. I managed the EDU from above so the starter from below should be ok so long as nobody runs over my legs in the street...
I'll update the thread if there are any codes or if anything works! I really want to keep this motor so I hope I can fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so sadly I'm admitting defeat - bought axle stands/chocks and a new starter and was ready to get dirty, but I couldn't get the undertray off! It covers everywhere and despite taking about ten plastic clips and t20 bolts out it is still firmly in place. I wanted to jack up the axle to be able to reach/undo the other fixings (as opposed to lifting each side one at a time) but don't want to do it through the undertray in case I bodge something. Embarrassing. I've asked a local firm if they can recover me to their garage and fit the starter. Fingers crossed, will update when I can. I've run out of time now, have to borrow a car for work tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to get the undertray off or do I have to remove the front bumper? I know it goes into the wheel arches. It is massive. Tempted to just cut it off but if I went to replace it with an ebay version I'd still have to get the bolts out. I've searched and searched, I must be the only person who can't get the damn thing off.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
There's no easy way, you just have to find all the fixings. I think there is a T20 screw each side in the wheel arch, plus one or two plastic clips, as well as the T20 screws underneath.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've mostly cut it off and undone the rest so the wheel arches liners are still intact. Having trouble getting access to the starter, I think my jack won't do high enough. Got it on stands. Is it right there's a cover for it too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very slow progress! The recovery company weren't available so I spent yesterday on it. Got all the bottom bolts off and all the cables off too. Can't see the top bolt at all for some reason? There are no 19mm bolts anywhere near there. Been googling like crazy, someone mentioned on an 05 plate G that they had a 18mm torx bolt instead. As soon as I have a day off I'll try again. Got battery tray out, I know where the starter is from the top but I just can't find the bolt. At least I got that dreaded undertray off.

Edited 01/09: I never did find the bolt, a whole day with the car on stands and me under it to no avail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, update for those who are interested/have the same problem in the future: got it towed, got starter installed (lots of cursing from mechanic, it's a bugger) and car starts. Unfortunately I think he's knocked the speed sensor out as I now have no speedo. (Cash job, etc) I'm going to have a look at that myself tomorrow. Am considering getting rid but it's like Trigger's broom - everything's been replaced on it already so I might as well keep it! My last G was a 1.8 petrol and I never had any problems with it.
Also, I have a new ignition switch - I read somewhere that the starter problems are sometimes down to the switch. However it doesn't stick on, it fires up fine now, so perhaps not worth doing?
MOT this month so fingers crossed in any case.

·
3,073 Posts
Does your astra g 1.7 have abs or not? Crank sensor knocked would affect starting and rev counter only. If is a after May 2003 would have ussually abs and speedo is picking up the signal from passenger hub abs sensor. If not abs model speedo is picked up from diferential, sensor located behind gearbox gear shift turret low down facing up towards power steering pump. Btw starter removal is 1 hour job as long as you remove edu, edu bracket, oil return to sump hose and battery with battery tray to remove top bolt. Bottom starter stud above crankshaft sensor is a pain if you do not have a 18mm deep socket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts