Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
Just joined this community today in the hopes that the Vauxhall/Opel community might have an idea of how i can fix my car.
I'm an absolute newbie in fixing my own car, i've looked up engine component videos to try help my descriptions but they may still be off, hopefully you guys will still be able to make out what i am saying.

Basically i'm having to top up my engine oil regularly, i would say at least 1-1.5L every month, sometimes slightly more. The oil level starts out at midway between the dipstick markers and disappears below the minimum level, requiring a top-up of the above quantity to ring it back to midway again.
There are no apparent oil leaks under the car and the oil cap is screwing on with no issues.
I have noticed that there is quite a bit of residual oil built up around the oil cap, even though it locks properly, and i have also noticed that there is residual oil around what i think is the throttle body.
My fuel consumption is also pretty high for the engine size and miles driven, and power is also diminished.
The EGR valve was replaced roughly 6 months ago.
I changed the air filter and noticed a slight improvement in performance, and i will be looking to do a full oil & oil filter change at the weekend if i can.
I will be hoping to try sort this oil burning issue while i am changing the oil anyway.
I have seen mentions of checking and cleaning/replacing the PCV valve as a fix to this.

On a separate note, my engine coolant tank is quite old and the coolant appears to be muddy throughout, would this have an effect?

I have attached photos of the engine for reference.

Let me know if anyone has come across something similar and what you did to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
18,177 Posts
Or someone has poured a load of Radseal into it to cure a coolant leak.

Reactions: Alan G H

·
Super Moderator
28,425 Posts
Hi Fred,
I bought this 2 years ago from a dealer, no mention of it being a replacement engine coming from a breakers
I just noticed some yellow painted numbers underneath near the oil filler cap. Have you got oil in the exhaust tail pipe ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just noticed some yellow painted numbers underneath near the oil filler cap. Have you got oil in the exhaust tail pipe ?
I can't see or smell oil coming from the exhaust, but i have noticed that the tip of the exhaust has gotten fairly sooty these past few months. Wiping it with a cloth leaves a pure carbon black soot

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the engine running, is it difficult to remove oil filling cap?
no issue removing the oil cap with the engine running from a cold start or after running for a while. small bit of smoke escaped for a few seconds after removing the oil cap after it had been running for a while and a short spin

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
508 Posts
worn valve stem oil seals. exhaust probably smokes black reek a fair bit when accelerating? Looks like the yellow paint on the block is "PT OK" so I'd assume it has been pressure tested and found to be OK. If head gasket away it'll lack power and use water also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts