Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was hoping someone would be able to assist me with an issue relating to an 05 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2. I was driving home from work when suddenly the temperature gauge on the dashboard went all the way into the red. Before I knew it, the gauge had dropped completely to the other end. I got out of the car and smoke was coming from the left hand side of the engine. The coolant was empty and a pipe/ tube had broken off the left hand side where the smoke was coming from.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
It sounds like the water pump bleed pipe has snapped, they are made of plastic and its a common problem, the pipe screws into the top of the water pump, they now do a replacement made from brass...they do 2 types, one is an M8 and the other is an M10...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...859774&hash=item339683a7f9:g:6cIAAOSwBadTqtn4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...283423?hash=item35ed95c9df:g:5x0AAOSwHnFVqPFF

As always check with the seller before you purchase or get one from your local Vauxhall main dealer....

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there just to be clear the Left hand side of the engine is the passengers side, or n/s, it sounds like steam not smoke....sounds like a hose has burst or something, the gauge will do that if it overheats then looses all its coolant....the temperature sender unit measure the temperature of the coolant...from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for letting me know what the issue is! I shall ring a garage tomorrow and see how much it cost to get a replacement fitted. Just out of curiosity you don't have an estimate of the labour and part costs do you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fred,

The pipe that has broken off is at the driver side of the engine. I think the potential of it being steam is likely, given the fact I started it earlier this evening and there was water coming out of the hole where the pipe used to be attached.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
Well the parts about a tenner and depending how competent the garage is it should take no more than 30 minutes to replace..dont keep running the engine or driving the car or you will blow the head gasket.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Yes ok that is the right hand side of the engine, i can see why people get confused as when you stand in front of the car is seems like the left hand side....but i learnt years ago that you take if from sitting in the drivers seat....so we used to refer more to n/s and o/s, we all knew what we were talking about then, but a lot of people dont know what that means, so i tend to say, drivers or passengers side, you cant really go wrong with that...unless it is left hand drive lol...

But apart from all that, sounds like Andy is on the right track, could be the water pump of course, Another Corsa weak link from Fred in Essex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts