Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon chaps,
The engine details page in the handbook lists bore/stroke/compression etc etc, but NOT number of valves. Might it be 16 ? Appreciate your info. Cheers.

·
Worn Out Member
9,630 Posts
Astra H ?
if so it's 16v but I reckon that's 59kw rather than bhp so it'll be a dtl,reg number will confirm

Reactions: alun1808

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Astra H ?
if so it's 16v but I reckon that's 59kw rather than bhp so it'll be a dtl,reg number will confirm
Thanks Valer, I realised it's a 59/80 dtl. I'm looking for a compatible starter motor, and both 1.7CDTi and 1.7CDTI 16v are listed - hence the confusion.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could any of you learned & experienced chaps advise please: do the 04 astra G 1.7CDTi dtl and the 05 astra H 1.7CDTI dtl share the same model starter motor ?

·
Premium Member
4,246 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are the same, but are you sure it is actually the starter?
Have you tried putting a 12 volt feed to the solenoid terminal on the starter, to see if it turns?
A couple of years ago, my starter failed, but it was only worn brushes. A complete brush assembly was cheap from ebay, and it was an easy job to rebuild the starter.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried putting a 12 volt feed to the solenoid terminal on the starter, to see if it turns?
A couple of years ago, my starter failed, but it was only worn brushes. A complete brush assembly was cheap from ebay, and it was an easy job to rebuild the starter.
Alan GH, thanks for the info - that would certainly be the ideal outcome. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to get at the starter - I'm currently looking for a mechanic (who could then do as you suggest). In anticipation of worst-case scenario, how could I find the OE part number. Cheers.

·
Worn Out Member
9,630 Posts
It's a been through a few part number changes over the years,here's all the possible numbers,new and exchange
97189118,97386062,98014743,R1540010,R1540027,93174028,93169014

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alan G H, For clarification, in above scenario if motor turns then brushes are OK and solenoid faulty? If motor doesn't turn then brushes and/or solenoid faulty? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,246 Posts
Alan G H, For clarification, in above scenario if motor turns then brushes are OK and solenoid faulty? If motor doesn't turn then brushes and/or solenoid faulty? Cheers.
If the motor turns the engine normally when you put power to the small solenoid terminal on the starter motor, then the motor is ok.
Check for power coming to the solenoid wire at the starter (test light or volt meter) while someone turns the key to the start position. If there is no power coming there, then you have a problem elsewhere.

Reactions: alun1808 and Valer

·
Worn Out Member
9,630 Posts
Or if you don't fancy crawling underneath,pull the starter relay R9 and put 12v straight to terminal 87 (out of gear)
if it cranks you'll know all is ok after the relay

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern
Circuit component Electronic instrument Gadget Hardware programmer Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
4,246 Posts
Hi again Valer, Looking down into engine bay, where is terminal 87 located pse?
It is one of the terminals that the starter relay plugs into (the yellow relay, marked R9 in the picture).

Reactions: Valer

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Happy to report that the engine cranks !! The cost of a starter has been saved! Does the feed through terminal 87 go directly into the starter, or via the solenoid? Thanks for your continued input.

·
Worn Out Member
9,630 Posts
It goes via the solenoid so shows it's all working after the relay.
Here's my standard quick check diagram for checking the power/grounds at a relay
do the checks and let us know how you got on
Product Rectangle Slope Font Triangle

1 - 20 of 26 Posts