Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

SteveW's Cavalier SRi 16v

14K views 91 replies 30 participants last post by  SteveW 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT - pics can now be found on pages 4 and 5 of the thread

My old picture thread on here has been pruned I think (either taht or I can't search properly), so I thought I'd stick up another one. A lot of you already know my car, but some of you won't so here you go.....

Bought in August 2001, completely standard apart from some ET35 five spoke wheels, which I thought looked quite nice until they started scrubbing the rear arches if I had a car full :eek:

Since then, it's had the following mods -

Smoked side repeaters
Sportex back box
K&N Induction kit (I originally fitted a K&N Panel filter, but then got given the induction kit :D)
Cav GSI Trip computer
Five spokes replaced with standard SRi fan wheels
Bilstein dampers and matched -30mm springs

Nothing major in the way of mods, but it's our main family car, so needs to stay "sensible" unfortunately :lmao:

Here it is the day I bought it...

This one taken a week after Trax 2002...

These taken at Trax 2003. First one with my old SLR camera, the rest thanks to Olly Hewitt (from migweb).....

please ignore what looks like an aerial sticking out the top of my car, it's a fairground ride :lmao:

Last one for now, this one taken at Billing 2003, which was pre-lowering....

Not got many more since these as I've not been to any shows this year. Hopefully should be back on track for shows next year though :)

See less See more
#4 ·
:lmao: cheers for that Dave, I have one at home that I tried removing the "aerial" on, just didn't have it here at work to post up. Not as good as your's though.

Don't suppose you feel like shopping out that little dent below the rear clusters on the near side on those pics do ya? If you're bored like :)

It was Kingfaz on mig that called it a shed and said that he hoped by the time he was 32 he wasn't driving a ten year old Vauxhall. :lmao:

#10 ·
Yeah, keep thinking about a debadge, just leaving the griffins front and rear and the SRi badges on the side. Or maybe even change the griffins (including the ones on the wheels) for the Opel logo, but it's been done loads of times before hasn't it?

Know what you mean about the alloys, they're the same size but look so much bigger.

Thanks for the nice comments, it's nothing special modification-wise, but I like to keep it clean :)

Andy M - Cheers mate, noticed your post on Faz's therad :lmao:

DanUK - most of the paint is original, apart from the driver's side front door and the drivers side rear quarter. Other than that, as far as I know it's pretty much untouched.

Spider bloke - I'll be looking out for robbers now :lmao: ;)

#15 ·
Thanks Mike :)

Dark Spider said:
looks easy to get to 22 miles blast down the a30

of course i shall do how often you down that way ?
Not that often, to be honest. Usually only for shopping trips. Prefer to go to Yeovil than Salisbury though. Yeovil may appear to be a nightmare traffic wise, but Salisbury is ten times worse!!

Nice bit of road, the A30 to Shaftesbury from Yeovil. Provided you don't get stuck behind a tractor :lmao:

Same goes for the A30 between Shaftesbury and Salisbury too. Great fun late at night. Loads of twisty bits :D

#16 ·
Lovely lovely car mate. Didn't think they put XE in the M reg cars tho??? I would have thought it was an ecotec if i saw it coming. The fans look much better as well. Re-badge needed to C20XE instead of 2.0 sri.

Reactions: Boroboy
#20 ·
COLINSRI said:
Lovely lovely car mate. Didn't think they put XE in the M reg cars tho??? I would have thought it was an ecotec if i saw it coming. The fans look much better as well. Re-badge needed to C20XE instead of 2.0 sri.
As far as I know the ecotec replaced the XE in the SRi in March 1994, so late L Reg and all M Reg SRi's should be ecotec's.

Nice car Steve - looks in really good condition. :up: I've always liked black SRi hatches.

#23 ·
andy_h said:
As far as I know the ecotec replaced the XE in the SRi in March 1994, so late L Reg and all M Reg SRi's should be ecotec's.

Nice car Steve - looks in really good condition. :up: I've always liked black SRi hatches.
Thanks Andy, I must admit though, that the last pic (taken by someone on mig I must add, not by myself) really does the car justice. THe front end could do with a respray cos it's riddled with stonechips etc. You just hardly notice them on that pic. Think that's why I like that pic best :O :lmao:

Colin - Dunno what made you think it's got an XE, unfortunately it hasn't :(

It was registered 15th August 1994, so was one of the earlier Ecotec powered Cavs. Which is why the ICV needs cleaning every couple of months :mad: :lmao:

#24 ·
SteveW said:
Thanks Andy, I must admit though, that the last pic (taken by someone on mig I must add, not by myself) really does the car justice. THe front end could do with a respray cos it's riddled with stonechips etc. You just hardly notice them on that pic. Think that's why I like that pic best :O :lmao:

Colin - Dunno what made you think it's got an XE, unfortunately it hasn't :(

It was registered 15th August 1994, so was one of the earlier Ecotec powered Cavs. Which is why the ICV needs cleaning every couple of months :mad: :lmao:
No probs :up:

I've had my SRi ecotec hatch for over 3 years and I think they're great and I've had no problems with it so far (mine was registered in August 1995 tho, so it's a late one). TBH, I prefer them to the late XE's coz they don't suffer from 'porus head' problems and they have more torque low down in the rev range than the XE.

#25 ·
I really wanted a Red-Top SRi, but looked for a couple of months and nothing turned up. Then I saw at least three for sale just after I bought my Cavalier :rolleyes:

Porous head isn't a problem, places like V-tuning can fix the head for under £200, without even taking it off the car.

And the low range torque of the Ecotec isn't greater than the XE iirc, it's just a little bit lower down the rev range. That's what makes them slightly smoother than the XE, and why they put the XEV into the complete Vauxhall range, because they're easier for all the old bids to do their shopping in :lmao:

:beer:

#26 ·
SteveW said:
I really wanted a Red-Top SRi, but looked for a couple of months and nothing turned up. Then I saw at least three for sale just after I bought my Cavalier :rolleyes:

Porous head isn't a problem, places like V-tuning can fix the head for under £200, without even taking it off the car.

And the low range torque of the Ecotec isn't greater than the XE iirc, it's just a little bit lower down the rev range. That's what makes them slightly smoother than the XE, and why they put the XEV into the complete Vauxhall range, because they're easier for all the old bids to do their shopping in :lmao:

:beer:
I wanted an XE too, but I don’t regret getting an ecotec instead. In my opinion the ecotec is underrated. The XE has a good racing heritage and it’s more tunable, but apart from that I can’t see that the XE has any advantages over the ecotec. I’ve been involved in two ‘XE vs ecotec’ races, once in my Cav against a GSi and another time in my mates ecotec Calibra against a XE’d Calibra and both races were neck and neck, so there's no obvious difference in the performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.